Thursday, September 11, 2008

Leader's Debates? Should be Dion vs. Harper.

It is incredible how an entire week can go by, and I realize I haven't blogged. And I actually was intending to stay on top of this, and just completely forgot about it.

I've got only one key thing to say today:

Elizabeth May should emphatically NOT be involved in the Leader's Debates. I think it is absolutely ridiculous that she has endorsed another leader as the "best prime minister" and has convinced that leader not to run a candidate against her, but she is somehow going to be expected to argue and debate all the issues distinctly?

There are only 2 political parties in the country with ANY hope of winning this election, and ergo, any real chance of leading the country. There are only 2 people who have any hope of being prime minister.

As such, I would love to see Harper publicly request a one-on-one debate with Dion, so Canadians can actually see an honest-to-goodness comparison between the two people they are really choosing between. Although I believe the NDP and Bloc will both win a number of seats (and the Greens might even win one or two), they have no chance of winning the election (even Layton knows this). Dion vs. Harper. I would actually watch that (versus these leader's debates, which I have no intention of watching).

3 comments:

Abe said...

Of course, just watching Dion and Harper talk for a while would be about as thrilling as a paper jam in the photocopier.

Jamie A. Grant said...

Ooh, a paper jam! Where? I need to get in on that action...

Lawyer Kid said...

Nobody said the leader's debates were supposed to be "thrilling". Politics rarely is.

Although I do get your point, at least there could be a real policy discussion (which would be a novel concept in the debates).