Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Wrong Move, Geraldine

I'll let these words speak for themselves:
As Mississippi voted, the tone of the race took another nasty lurch, as the
Obama camp demanded the dismissal of Clinton's supporter Geraldine Ferraro, for
saying: "If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position."

...

But Clinton said only that she did "not agree" with Ferraro's portrayal of
Obama as the privileged recipient of affirmative action, and found it
"regrettable" that supporters might resort to personal attacks.

"We ought to keep this focused on the issues. That's what this campaign
should be about," she said while stumping in Pennsylvania ahead of the state's
crunch primary.

Later on Fox News, Ferraro refused to apologize, accused the Obama
campaign of waging a hate campaign against her, and reiterated that the
candidate's political success was "in large measure because he is black."

"I said this (Obama's) is one of the best campaigns. I speak about his
star quality. I talk about how exciting it is to have two campaigns, but you
know, the truth is the truth is the truth," Ferraro added.

Regardless of the truth of that statement*, that's equivalent to policial suicide. And then defending the use makes it all the worse.

It is quite incredible how intense and nasty this campaign is getting. The talk of a Clinton-Obama or Obama-Clinton ticket seems less and less likely by the day.

*As an added note, I am making no comment on the truth of that statement.

3 comments:

Mike said...

*As an added note, I am making no comment on the truth of that statement.

Oh, don't be so dodgy. Are you deferring judgment because you don't actually know, or because you don't want to anger the PC police?

Lawyer Kid said...

I figured someone would lampoon me for that one.

I honestly don't know - largely because that sort of information is probably impossible to uncover. And although that might be a cop-out, I think it's impossible to prove or determine one way or another, which might be exactly why those types of comments shouldn't be made.

Mike said...

Yeah, I agree, it is impossible to know whether or not that statement is true. It is for that reason that I'm not inclined to give Ferraro the benefit of the doubt. There's no way she could know, but she said it anyways; it stinks of playing the racial card.

Good riddance to her.