Monday, November 10, 2008

NHL Expansion: London Knights

Although I happen to feel that the current edition of the Knights could probably beat the New York Islanders in a best of 7 today, I was intrigued recently about the idea of current London Knight alumni in the NHL, and what type of lineup they would ice. Here's my best guess at how they would shake down.

Forwards:
R. Nash, S. Gagner, C. Perry
P. Kane, C.Kelly, B. Shanahan
R. Schremp, D. Bolland, S. Kostitsyn
T. Kostopoulos, B. Prust, D. Fritsche
Extras: K. Barch, D. Larman, D. Bois

Not a bad group. I included Shanahan (currently unsigned, but likely to play somewhere this year), and Schremp (still oddly unable to get an NHL chance). 3 of those players are likely to go to the All-Star game this year (Nash, Perry, Kane). I think there's probably quite a few NHL teams that would trade their current forward lineup for this one.

Defencemen:
D. Wideman, D. Girardi
A. Henry, K. Quincey
M. Methot, J. Erksine
Extras: D. Syvret, D. Jancevski

A solid group with options. Wideman and Girardi are probably two of the better young defencemen out there, and both should (if they keep playing the way they are) be at the 2009 NHL All-Star Game. The other 4 are solid depth defencemen. Again, I would guess that there are a fair number of NHL clubs that would take this group.

Goaltenders:
S. Mason
Extras: ?

One of the better goalie prospects in hockey, but also the weakest position due to absolutely no depth at all. New Knight T. Cann will probably join this list in the next couple of years, but it's clearly the weakest spot on the 2009 NHL Knights roster.

I think if this team could find a backup goalie out of retirement or Europe, they would likely be a solid threat to make the playoffs.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

They can dig up Freddy Brathwaite somewhere to be the backup. I can't think of another Knight goalie who has ever played in the NHL. I'm surprised that neither Dennis nor Coleman has made any noise in pro hockey yet.

And no Rico Fata? Not even as a healthy scratch? Ouch.

Lawyer Kid said...

I know Coleman has played a couple of games for the Lightning a while back, and Dennis might have made it there too.

Fata is currently playing in Europe, and he was probably the toughest cut from this roster. I could easily put him on the team instead of Barch.

Titus said...

Did your Father write this post? I thought you said he was the one with all the in-depth and peculiar Knights knowledge.

Lawyer Kid said...

This took a couple minutes on wikipedia. But wouldn't be surprised if my father still remembered something that I missed/forgot.