Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Dieting Thoughts

Several thoughts as we begin a new year:
  1. It seemed like every single channel was showing a different dieting show last night. "Healthy eating, more exercise...etc, etc, etc." I will confess I watched the premiere of The Biggest Loser: Couples last night, and despite my initial intention to only watch the first hour, I ended up watching the whole thing. I do wonder how much of the incredible weight loss is simply water loss.
  2. Speaking of water, one of the things I plan to do as this year begins is make a real focus on drinking more water. For a while I was drinking at least 1 litre in the morning and 1 litre in the afternoon, but I slipped out of that (with a corresponding coffee consumption increase). So that's a new focus.
  3. Furthermore, I'm limiting my coffee/tea consumption to one a day of each, with a goal of eventually weaning off of both of them. Right now it looks like a coffee in the morning, and a tea in the afternoon/evening. No sugar in either.
  4. And speaking of no sugar, I'm going on a strict diet prior to my wedding. The list of sugar-filled items I will be abstaining from includes: pop, iced tea, chocolate, ice cream, candy, cake, pie, desserts. This is complemented by the list of fat-filled items I am also abstaining from: chips and fries.
  5. I'm also making a commitment to eat regularly and increase my consumption of fruits and vegetables.
  6. Exercising daily - be it personal workout or walking/cardio.
  7. Sleeping regularly and sufficiently. I've realized that if I get 7 hours, I'm good. So that's the new goal.
It's aggressive, but needed. A healthier lifestyle is a little overdue, in fact, and the fact that I'd like to feel like I'm in good shape going into the wedding is a bonus. The fact that my fiancee is joining me in this endeavour makes it easier.

No comments: