Thursday, December 6, 2007

Golden Compass, Golden Scandal

2 Thoughts for today:

1) I'm not sure that going around screaming "The Golden Compass is evil! The Golden Compass is evil!" is going to accomplish much. Simply saying something is evil/bad/etc. rarely does the trick. Far more effective is explaining why something is wrong, etc.

I'm currently reading the book. I'll get back to you.

2) I am at a serious loss to explain this ridiculous lack of decorum. Think of how this sells for the NDP: "Young Conservative MP caught looking at scantily-clad women on laptop on Parliament Hill". Sounds like a pretty good smear, no?

Except it has a perfectly valid explanation: the pictures were of said young Conservative MP's girlfriend.

How is this possibly defended? How embarrassing would this be if in a public setting accusations were made by someone who had been snooping on you? I can't imagine the situation Moore must have felt he was in.

And to paint this as anything other than a blatant and embarrassing attempt to smear Moore is impossible.

I'm actually in shock that any MP would try this. Mathyssen should be absolutely ashamed of herself.

4 comments:

Mike said...

I kind of think I know who this is. The topics and writing styles are very, very familiar. Do I need to link to your blog?

Oh, and those word verification things? They're hateful, like nazis.

Lawyer Kid said...

They also keep spammers away.

Yeah, go ahead and add me to the blogroll if you feel led to.

Anonymous said...

I do feel led to!

Mike

Unknown said...

I personally think think it is despicable how the media tries to pervert minds at a young age and indoctrinate them with their beliefs. The golden compass is just another ploy by the media to force it ideologies on the weak minded.*

*in a whining ranting voice

On a completely unrelated topic is anyone going to bring some unsaved children to the new veggietales release "the pirates who don't do anything"?