Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Movie Review: Transporter 3

I had low expectations for this movie, really, I did. I thought it would be a halfway entertaining action flick, and I enjoyed Jason Statham in Transporters 1 and 2.

Transporter 3 blew them all out of the water. It has now become the worst move I have ever seen.

How so? Let me count the ways. In the middle of the movie for about a half hour, absolutely nothing happened. A few telephone calls were made, but no races or fights (the only thing one is looking for in a movie like this). The only other thing of note (unfortunately) was that Jason Statham did a striptease for the female lead.

Yup, that’s right – a striptease by the male lead in a movie where the target audience is 95% male. I have no idea what the director was thinking, but it was beyond terrible. And it was so bad, it wasn’t laughably bad, it was “should we walk out now because this is just so lame and boring?” bad.

We didn’t walk out, under the thought that the last fight scene MUST be halfway decent. Nope. Jason crashes his car onto a train, then straps Robert Knepper’s (better known as T-Bag from TV’s Prison Break) hand to a bomb, which blows up and they live happily ever after.

To put this movie into appropriate reference, The Marine, starring John Cena from WWE was a significantly, significantly, better movie. And it was well worse than Next, which won the award for the worst movie of 2007 in my books.

1 comment:

Jamie A. Grant said...

Yeah, I heard that Transporter 3 was better than 2. Maybe you don't like the subtle nuances of Stratham's acting? ;)

And I personally liked "Next" quite a bit. I'm a fan of Philip K. Dick's movies and I'm a sucker for sci-fi, though.